This is the IRS’ top reject so far across the country, across all software vendors. Please disseminate this to your staff as you see fit.
- This reject occurs when the IRS database has record of any SSN on the return receiving an advance payment.
- Taxpayer, spouse, dependent.
- Even if they received an advance payment for just one month, the 8962 is required.
- Providers have until January 31st to mail the 1095-A to taxpayers, so many have not received theirs yet.
- If they dispute the need for the 8962, the return will be processed by hand, which will result in significant delays, usually 3-6 months.
- History also tells us the IRS tends to bypass the bank products on many of these hand processed returns. They simply mail a check to the taxpayer.
- We are still awaiting guidance from the IRS about attaching a PDF for dispute/calculations.
This website has a great deal of useful information on the subject: